Back to school is like a short and sweet honeymoon phase. We all love seeing our friends and being back in a crazy-fun environment. I mean syllabus week is the best right? Sadly, this carefree attitude is slowly stripped away as classes start and homework is assigned.
But how do you prevent school from becoming too routine and just plain boring?
Wake up, go to class, eat lunch, go back to class, workout or work on homework, eat dinner, work on more homework, then go to bed. BORING! How monotonous.
After that first week or two, being back to school sucks. Now that we’ve been back for almost a month, it’s lost its luster. It’s the same thing every day. But it doesn’t have to be.
Here are a few things I do to shake things up and keep it interesting:
1. I workout at varying times of the day to avoid a consistent schedule and seeing the same people.
2. On the weekends, I go for runs around campus or along the river to get a different view.
3. I also go to the ARC and rent canoes or kayaks to take to Alum Creek (20-minute drive from campus) to spend a day on the water. It feels like I’m still on summer break.
4. I look up recipes online before going grocery shopping so I can switch up my meals. I take the time to cook make new things so I don’t get stuck eating the same foods everyday.
5. Now that fall is coming up, I plan to go pumpkin and apple picking! Carving some pumpkins and drinking some apple cider sounds like the perfect way to avoid school.
Anything that gets you outside or off campus helps keep it interesting and gives you a perspective. So mix it up and try something new!
About the Author: McKenna Kasper
McKenna is a fourth year from Cleveland, OH. She is majoring in Strategic Communications and minoring in French and Spanish. She aspires to work at a PR agency or work with social media in the future.